Wednesday, April 16, 2014

A Dissertation on Helmets

Since the next question on the blog challenge list is about helmets, I thought it would be a good time to talk about them. I honestly don't think about it very often, so maybe I ought to.  O.o

I have only ever owned one helmet, and that one for about six years. And it needs replaced. Quite badly.

Anyways, I have rarely worn said helmet. I used it for a day-long trail ride last summer, and have worn it at random times. Mostly when I remember.

With that being said, I really want to get a new one and wear it regularly. My problem is that I never liked the one I have for certain reasons (not counting that I just don't like hats very much at all).
1) Not comfortable, and I think too big.
2) Throws my balance off.

I wear glasses, and this has always made my head-gear problem even more aggravating. If it doesn't fit well enough, it sits on top of my glasses, which in turn puts pressure on my head and causes headaches later on. I'm still considering getting contacts for sports, but since I haven't talked to my eye doctor in a while, we'll see about that.



My opinion on wearing helmets might  be a bit different. I have fallen very few times in my life, and every one of them has been my own fault. I also am very careful not to get on/stay on a horse who might throw me, or get into a situation where the horse might explode. Of course, I also understand how accidents can happen, and therefore I lean pretty heavily on the side of wearing a helmet, particularly in jumping or at high speeds. Then again, is one supposed to wear a helmet when working on the ground with a horse? Approximately half of the training I do is groundwork and accidents could happen in that setting too.
Pretty much, right now, I don't wear one because mine probably wouldn't protect me anyways and it doesn't fit. However, I am looking into purchasing a new one that will fit so that I can wear it during riding.  :)  Since I don't have a lot of money to spend (broke college student) and I probably don't need a fancy one for competition (yet!) I'm looking at the following....

Ovation Competitor Helmet

IRH ATR Helmet.

What I'm not sure about at all is the low-profile idea. Although its neat and I can see how it works, I'm not sure how it would mesh with my glasses issue.  Another issue that is important is the cooling system. East Texas humidity is not kind to helmeted heads, and I like to stay comfortable :D

What do you wear or recommend?  :)




2 comments:

  1. My horse is such a bruiser (as in giant head and often times knocks me with it) a lot of times I wear a helmet tacking him up to save me the headache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good idea, I would be doing so too! Lady has been super high-strong lately and I really want a new helmet while I deal with it :O

      Delete