Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Riding Bareback

I've had such saddle trouble in the past 2-3 years and Lady has had back issues for about that long too, that I have done a lot of riding bareback.


I've read conflicting opinions on whether or not riding bareback is harmful for the horse's back because of how the weight and pressure are localized under your seat bones instead of distributed evenly like under the bars of a saddle.
I have always digested these opinions carefully and thought about them a lot, but even so I have continued to ride bareback. Lady doesn't complain, she moves freely and is expressive. I am quite sure I would know if she was uncomfortable.
Besides... I can stick quite well even when she throws antics at me...

Like this one!
My balance is fairly decent and lately I've noticed that my seat and aids and just overall riding ability has improved. Probably because I've actually been working on doing things correctly.
I do think every horse ought to be taught how to be ridden bareback so that its not something completely foreign to them, and every rider should be capable of riding without anything between them and the horse. You know, in case some emergency comes up and you have to go careening off down the road with just a halter and a lead rope? Just kidding.... even I wouldn't ride then!
Not every horse is built to accommodate bareback riding. Some are just narrow, some have a spine that is rather painful to straddle, and some are just awkward to ride without a saddle. I know because I have ridden other horses bareback, and honestly, I do prefer to ride a new horse with a saddle for the first time.
Luckily I am blessed with a round barreled horse who has always been quite comfortable to jump on and ride around. Although tonight's ride made me rethink that blessing.... since she has lost weight and put on some correct muscling, I can actually feel her spine... slight ouch.



Everything I have ever done in a saddle I have also done bareback. Actually I have even jumped more often without a saddle than I have with one!
One of my favorite parts is that it is so easy to get out and ride. I just have to make sure her back and sides are clean and off we go! :-)


Do you ride bareback? Often, or very seldom? Why?

By the way, it makes for the absolute best no-stirrup work!

6 comments:

  1. I ride bareback just every once in awhile. My Fjord mare is a barrel and her gaits are smooth, so it is really easy to ride her bareback though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My girl is a barrel too, but her gaits aren't terribly smooth. Sounds like you've got the perfect one for bareback riding though! :D

      Delete
  2. I love to ride bareback, but it's a walk/canter type of work out! Too much trotting can get painful (mine has a very bumpy trot).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I agree totally. I can trot for a long time in the saddle, but bareback is a whole 'nother story entirely :D

      Delete
  3. Let's just say that Miles does not have a cushy back, and I've only tried to ride sans saddle once since I bought him, lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm totally sat on several horses bareback that seemingly were not meant for bareback riding. Kind of painful at times ;)

      Delete