Monday, January 26, 2015

Travel Planning Monday: Anxious Horse Mom

I'm definitely an anxious horse mom, and leaving my babies for 6 weeks is very very hard to accept.


Because I do have some adorable fur-babies.  :)

Anyways... since I still live on my parent's property and am super lucky to have someone always around to do feeding and watering and basic checking-on-the-animals, I don't really have a lot to worry about. Even if the family is a bit begrudging about doing outdoor chores for me. Oh well.

So, I've been trying to get everything prepared for my extended absence... and its still stressing me out.

With two and a half weeks left until we fly out, I still need to...

  • Stock up on feed... How in the world do I add up how much I'll need?
  • Prepare supplements.... Again, make sure I have enough and that its set out clearly labeled.
  • Set up clear written instructions for everything that needs to be done.
  • Get contact information for vet and hoof trimmer.
  • Have Lady's feet trimmed.
  • Make sure arrangements have been made for hay to always be available for all three horses.
  • Check fences.  (Sigh)
My second problem is that I really don't like leaving Lady for six weeks without having any exercise.  It probably isn't as big of a deal as I make it, but she does stiffen up if I leave her sitting in the pasture for too long.

So.... I got one of my horsey friends to agree to come out and ride 2-3x per week. Of course.... that makes me nervous too because in the 7 years I've owned Lady, I can still count on one hand the people I've allowed to actually ride her. I just don't share very easily.... but its going to be okay. We'll discuss how Lady likes to be handled and groomed and saddled and ridden. 

How do you handle leaving your horses for any period of time?  What kind of preparations do you make?  :)

1 comment:

  1. sounds like you've got all your bases covered! hopefully by doing all this due diligence ahead of time you'll be able to sit back and really enjoy your trip while knowing everything is in good hands at home :)

    ReplyDelete